WELCOME

Welcome to Leeds Respiratory Network Blog, we aim to use this page to keep healthcare professionals updated with guidance and resources as they become available. This will compliment our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LeedsRespiratoryNetwork?ref=stream and Twitter page
https://twitter.com/RespNetwork

Thanks for viewing.

Saturday 18 April 2015

The Power of Storytelling

This afternoon it was suggested that I write a blog on the power of storytelling. The first thought that went through my mind, is the same thought that usually does when someone suggests I do something new. “OMG I can’t do that!” But this year I promised myself that I will face my fears, do everything that scares me and push myself to do the things that I don’t want to do! It must be getting easier now because I didn’t have all the usual fear and panic that goes with that thought, today it was just the thought.

So storytelling, well some of you might know that recently I have been on a journey. I felt the next phase on the journey was story telling as I kept reading articles about this. But I was scared who would want to hear my stories? What stories could I tell? As I said I have been pushing my boundaries and this week I have presented for the first time solo.  I don’t like I presentations, I don’t like standing in front of people talking, I would much prefer that someone else does it but I pushed myself to do it when the opportunity arose. On the first night we had some technical errors and I had to present without slides. But I was ok, I survived they said they had enjoyed it and learnt new things. Wow people actually enjoyed it, how could I make it better next time I thought to myself.

I have just started the NHS leadership frontline program and that night I decided to do some of the online learning. I had to think of a leader that had inspired me and what was it about them that had inspired me. When I thought about the person I had in mind, she was a great story teller, she brought her presentations to life. Instead of just telling us what she wanted us to know she gave great examples of how this had benefited the patients.  I thought this is how I can make my presentation better I had briefly told some stories but I had been too nervous in case they didn’t like them, they needed more depth.

So the next night for my second presentation I told more story’s and in more depth! I spoke about my 36 year old patient with severe COPD who is now a grandma.  Another female patient who previously had lots of hospital admissions, but when she stopped smoking and started swimming she hasn’t been in hospital since.  I gave lots of examples of success stories as we went through the presentation and the feedback was excellent! The delegates had loved it, they were definitely going to make changes and I really enjoyed the night too.

Mel  

No comments:

Post a Comment